Loganlea Colliery - was it the first to be electrified?

By Sybil Cavanagh

ELECTRICAL POWER FOR MINING WORK AT LOGANLEA


Messrs McWhirter, Ferguson & Co., of the Faraday Electrical Works, Govan, have just completed an order which marks a distinct advance in the application of electricity to the purposes of industry.  Plant for the electrical transmission of power for mining work has been constructed for Mr John McCulloch, of Loganlea Collieries, near West Calder.  

At the collieries a new engine houses has been erected, and in it has been place a horizontal engine of nearly 100 h.p.  A dynamo capable of yielding 60 electrical h.p., at a pressure of 200 volts has been supplied by Messrs McWhirter, Ferguson & Co., the electricity from which will be carried down the mine in cable, manufactured by the Fowle Waring Company, London.  Descending the shaft, the first branch from the cable with be carried to a small motor used for hauling in a 'dook' at present half a mile in length.  At the bottom of the mine a large road - to be used in working the main seams - is being driven through the solid stone.  A motor of 30 horse-power will do the bulk of the hauling here.

The installation at Loganlea, it is believed, is the first of its kind in Scotland.

The water met with the in construction of the road will be pumped to the surface by means of another motor of 15 horse-power.  When the installation is complete is is estimated that Mr McCulloch will have at his command about 150 horse-power, capable of being applied not only to the purposes mentioned, but to rock-drilling, coal-drilling and coal-cutting.  It will also serve to light up the whole of the extensive works. 

West Lothian Courier, 16 May 1891, page 5 

This page was added by Sybil Cavanagh on 22/10/2012.